Re: auger cast piles

I think it depends on the Seismic Design Category. If your building is
categorized A or B, I guess you can use ASD (1801.2). However, for C, D, E and
F, you need to design based on LRFD (1809.3.5).
I hope it help you.

Chung-Soo Doo

ADC Engineering wrote:

> I am working on the reinforcement design for axially, and laterally loaded
> auger cast piles, and am having difficulties understanding IBC section
> 1809.3.1. This section is entitled "allowable stress", does this mean that
> auger cast piles should be designed using ASD as opposed to LRFD? Does
> anyone have a good reference from ACI or other regarding the material design
> (not Geotechnical design) of auger cast piles?
> Thanks in advance,
> James B. Jones Jr., P.E.

> *
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> *   site at: http://www.seaint.org
begin:vcard
n:Doo;Chung-Soo
tel;fax:415-781-2718
tel;work:415-781-1505
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:cdoo(--nospam--at)sdesf.com
fn:Chung-Soo Doo, Ph.D.
end:vcard