RE: 1/2" or 5/8" SS machine bolts

See if any of these will help:

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 7:26 AM
To: Seaint
Cc: Steel Detail
Subject: 1/2" or 5/8" SS machine bolts

I am looking for shear capacities and availability of 1/2" dia. or 5/8" dia flat head slotted SS machine screws 5/8" long.  McMaster Carr tells me that they only have the 1/2" diameter, 1" long and they cost about 90 cents each.

They also tell me that the minimum tensile strength of the 18-8 SS is 80 ksi.  If I use AISC's 0.17Fu "for threaded parts of materials not listed", will I be OK?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
1584 Weaversville Road