Re: Steel-Detail: 1/2" or 5/8" SS machine bolts

Ken,

You may have trouble finding a slotted screw that size . . .  or a
screwdriver and a person strong enough to turn it.

Have you considered a socket-head product?

See if you can find a distributor of ASTM F 879 Stainless Steel Socket Head
Flat Countersunk Cap Screws.  Potential manufacturers include the Unbrako
division of SPS Technologies, the Holokrome division of Danaher, or perhaps
Safety Socket Screw.

McMaster Carr scares me.  Of the three numbers they gave you "18-8", "80
ksi" and "90 cents each" --- you can guess which one stands the best chance
of properly reflecting the product they were talking about.

David Sharp
TurnaSure

> I am looking for shear capacities and availability of 1/2" dia. or 5/8"
dia flat head slotted SS machine screws 5/8" long.  McMaster Carr tells me
that they only have the 1/2" diameter, 1" long and they cost about 90 cents
each.

> They also tell me that the minimum tensile strength of the 18-8 SS is 80
ksi.  If I use AISC's 0.17Fu "for threaded parts of materials not listed",
will I be OK?