From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 9:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Slurry cast v Auger cast Piles

Eric,

I would be very careful with this.  The auger cast system is sometimes dictated by your soil conditions.  With the auger cast system, the auger is drilled to the recommended depth and then the grout is pumped down the center as the auger is removed.  This keeps the soil from caving in during grout installation and the pressure provides a good soil/grout interface.  If you have deep and relatively narrow diameter piles then the slurry method (depending on how they do it) could cause significant problems.  I would first consult your geotechnical engineer.  If you have loose soil or soil with sand layers then this could be a bad idea.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Eric Green" <EGreen(--nospam--at)walterpmoore.com>

03/06/2003 12:48 PM
Please respond to seaint