Re: 1/2" or 5/8" SS machine bolts

>They also tell me that the minimum tensile strength of the 18-8 SS is 80
>ksi.  If I use AISC's 0.17Fu "for threaded parts of materials not listed",
>will I be OK?
The minimum tensile strength of 30 stainless is about 70 ksi and the
yield is about 30 ksi. Ordinary stainless doesn't pre-load very well
because it's pretty soft and it also galls against itself, unless you use
a coating of some sort. There are a dozen different coating sold under
various trade names which sound very much alike--you'll probably need to
check around for the proper one. I wouldn't use stainless from a hardware
store for any structural purpose. Buy using an ASTM spec.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw