Re: Philosophy of School Design - Was: Long Beach CA -- March 10, 1933

Putting emotional issues aside for a moment; I think there are a couple of
other reasons I can think of:

1) Smaller folks are more vulnerable to injury in the event of building
damage.  e.g. - a falling 10# light fixture will likely cause more serious
injury to a 30# child than a 150# adult.
2)  Adults are more likely to be able to help themselves in an emergency
situation than kids.
3)  Schools are commonly designated disaster centers - and so should remain
standing after other structures are gone.

Ed Haninger
Fluor
Aliso Viejo

                      "Eric Green"
                      <EGreen@walterpmoor      To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                      e.com>
                      03/10/03 01:22 PM        cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  Philosophy of School Design - Was:  Long Beach CA -- March 10, 1933

Why should schools be designed to a higher degree of safety than other
structures? Personally, when it comes to engineer structures, it is my
opinion that everyone deserves the same degree of safety, regardless of
age.

I can't image how I would feel, if for example, during a earthquake, a
school I designed stood, while an office building I designed did not,
killing 100's of people, and the difference was that I used a higher
factor of safety on the school, yet left the office building occupants
hanging out on a proverbial limb, and I did it on purpose, with
foresight.

What am I missing? And yes, I do have children.

Eric Green
- Speaking for myself, and no one else.

the views of the company.