RE: Philosophy of School Design - Was: Long Beach CA -- March 10, 1933

I agree with you Eric... I get so tired of hearing "do it for the children".  Are people over 21 less important than under 21?  Or is the cutoff at 18... or 25?  Now, I do understand that we need to be protective of people who can't protect themselves (including children) but that has little to do with the safety factors used for design of a school or office building.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Green [mailto:EGreen(--nospam--at)walterpmoore.com]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 3:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Philosophy of School Design - Was: Long Beach CA -- March 10,
1933

Why should schools be designed to a higher degree of safety than other
structures? Personally, when it comes to engineer structures, it is my
opinion that everyone deserves the same degree of safety, regardless of
age.

I can't image how I would feel, if for example, during a earthquake, a
school I designed stood, while an office building I designed did not,
killing 100's of people, and the difference was that I used a higher
factor of safety on the school, yet left the office building occupants
hanging out on a proverbial limb, and I did it on purpose, with
foresight.

What am I missing? And yes, I do have children.

Eric Green
- Speaking for myself, and no one else.