From: Ed.Haninger(--nospam--at)Fluor.com [mailto:Ed.Haninger(--nospam--at)Fluor.com]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 1:43 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Philosophy of School Design - Was: Long Beach CA --
March
10, 1933

Putting emotional issues aside for a moment; I think there are a
couple of
other reasons I can think of:

1) Smaller folks are more vulnerable to injury in the event of
building
damage.  e.g. - a falling 10# light fixture will likely cause more
serious
injury to a 30# child than a 150# adult.
2)  Adults are more likely to be able to help themselves in an
emergency
situation than kids.
3)  Schools are commonly designated disaster centers - and so
should remain
standing after other structures are gone.

Ed Haninger
Fluor
Aliso Viejo

                      "Eric Green"
                      <EGreen@walterpmoor      To:
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                      e.com>
                      03/10/03 01:22 PM        cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:
Philosophy of School Design - Was:  Long Beach CA -- March 10,
1933

Why should schools be designed to a higher degree of safety than
other
structures? Personally, when it comes to engineer structures, it
is my
opinion that everyone deserves the same degree of safety,
regardless of
age.

I can't image how I would feel, if for example, during a
earthquake, a
school I designed stood, while an office building I designed did
not,
killing 100's of people, and the difference was that I used a
higher
factor of safety on the school, yet left the office building
occupants
hanging out on a proverbial limb, and I did it on purpose, with
foresight.

What am I missing? And yes, I do have children.

Eric Green
- Speaking for myself, and no one else.

the views of the company.