Re: Collector Elements

Last week Jim Kestner asked a good question about collectors in steel
frames that did not receive any response on the list. I have wondered
about related issues, so I would like to ask again if anyone has any
answers. In addition to Jim's original questions, consider these:

1. When you have a composite steel floor beam which is a collector
element, or even the actual horizontal member in a braced bay, what is
the laterally unbraced length of the member for axial design? It's
unlike a typical column, since the top flange is totally braced, and yet
the bottom flange is (or sometimes is) totally unbraced.

2. In another case, say that the member is part of a moment frame,
instead of a braced frame line. Part of the bottom flange is in
compression and part of it is in tension due to reverse curvature
bending. For flexural design, what is the unbraced length Lb for the
bottom flange?

Thanks,
Rick Burch
Columbia, SC