Re: Philosophy of School Design - Was:  Long Beach CA -- March 10, 1933

Eric-
What you are missing is that you can apply the same process to ANY structure you design.  Then you won't feel guilty.

The good results don't just result from the design effort or having good codes (Turkey had reasonably good codes but no enforcement of them, the result was disastrous).  The results come from a complete process of careful design by the SEOR, careful review of that design by a competent building department (in the case of schools it is DSA) followed by careful inspection and documentation of the construction again reviewed by a competent building department.

Is this expensive? yes.  Does it produce desireable results? Yes.  Will there be some provisions engineers will consider bureaucratic? Yes. Are the results worth the expense? Considering that the average person has an expected lifetime earning capacity of somewhere near $2 million not considering the intangibles, I believe the answer is a resounding: YES!

The economic argument is the strongest one that ALL students should be protected.  A community college student that has not begun their career still has that $2 million potential which I believe is a benefit to society.

Regards,
Bill Cain, SE