RE: who is an expert?

Christopher Wright wrote:

. > I've been following this with some interest. The courts actually have
. > definitions of experts. In testimony an engineering expert is expected to
. > hold opinions 'to a reasonable degree of scientific certainty' meaning
. > that there is scientific foundation for the opinion and that in the main
. > most reasonable engineers would understand the basis for opinion.

Perhaps some attorney lurking on this list could clarify this as it is my
understanding that an "expert" (in litigation terms) is a person that has
specific knowledge that the average citizen does not have.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona