RE: Post-tensioned Construction

I don’t know if it was an over reaction because the article says:

The problem was discovered when workers doing some repairs on the building noticed weakened tensions among several cables, said Joe Fernandez, assistant chief of the Miami Fire-Rescue Department. On one floor, six of 10 cables investigated failed.

As I’m sure you know, if this is an unbonded system that means that the P/T force has been lost along the entire length of strand, this maybe why they evacuated the entire floor rather than just the area associated with the failure.

D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E., P.Eng.

Senior Project Manager

200 State Highway Nine

Manalapan, NJ 07726