From: Jeremy Kuhn [mailto:JKuhn(--nospam--at)americancrane.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 12:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Steel-Detail: feet and inches in Excel

Ken,

I don't know what could be easier than using two cells - seems the most
logical.

Any other way that I can think of would be no easier...for example if
you want to just make inputting easier you could enter the feet and
inches separated by a decimal point - for example 25 feet 7 inches would
be written as 25.7 (not the decimal equivalent 25.583 ! ) then enter
formulae into other cells to separate the feet from the inches.  Could
become a complicated formula if you want to include fractions of inches
(but it is possible).

My suggestion is to just keep using 2 cells - hitting the tab button
after entering the feet and prior to entering the inches is just as easy
as hitting the decimal point or any other character.

Jeremy Kuhn, P.E.
Project Engineer
American Crane
610-385-6061  Ext. 270