Re: limiting scope, responsibility, etc.

If your company has a standard contract, you probably need to begin with
that - the company's liability carrier often has reviewed the contract.

Having said that, I prefer a combination of the include/exclude methods.  I
specificially state what is covered in the Scope of Servces section and
conclude the section with  a statement similar to "All work not specifically
listed above is excluded from the Scope of Services and shall be considered
additional work that is beyond the limits of this agreement.  Specifically
excluded items include ......." and list such things as geotech,
construction admin, etc. as well as project specific items.  For your
situation, that may include wood rot evaluation, modifications to main
house, etc.

But you do need to be careful.  "It was excluded from our Scope of Services"
and "He told us which members to replace" isn't a very a good defense when
the State Board is investigating the project because of problems that arise
from an improper or insufficient design.  For example, if the foundations
settle (even though they were inadequate before you even started and you
haven't added any load), you might need to answer why no investigation of
the foundation condition/capacity was made.  This strikes me as one of those
"lots of liability / not much fee" projects.

M. David Finley, P.E.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025
386-752-6400