Re: Fire Sprinkler Support

Bill,

Because I could not get what I considered straight answers from certain
people who should "know", I recently bought "Automatic Sprinkler Systems
Handbook," 8th Edition, 1999 (Green Cover) from NFPA.  There is considerable
disparity between hanger requirements in this book and the UBC/IBC, viz.:

"Hangers shall be designed to support five times the weight of water-filled
pipe plus 250 lb (114 kg) at each point of piping support."

"The spacing between hangers shall not exceed the value given for the type of
pipe as indicated in Table 6-2.2."

Chapter 6 of the Handbook covers, "Hanging, Bracing, and Restraint of System
Piping," including seismic restraint.

The Handbook is keyed to NFPA 13.

Since you are in a large metropolitan area, you should be able to find a copy
of the handbook in either a public or university library.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Allen wrote:

. > I would appreciate confirmation/clarification with regards to sprinkler
. > support loads. UBC Table 16-B, Item 13 specifies the gravity loads
. > (weight of pipe filled with water plus 250 lbs) but refers to Table 16-O
. > for lateral loads. There is nothing specific (unless my eyes are failing
. > me worse than I thought) with regards to sprinkler systems, although
. > several items could be interpreted as appropriate for this application.

. > What is standard practice?

. > TIA,

. > T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
. > San Juan Capistrano, CA