RE: Philosophy of School Design - Was: Long Beach CA -- March 10, 1933

Barry Welliver asked:

A couple of questions come to mind.=20

The coroners report makes frequent mention of improper construction and
where noted, lack of design. Can you comment on whether these are the
opinions of the coroner or others? Also, is the recommendation at the =
end of your post part of the coroners work or from the background to =
legislation at that time?

>From all indications, the Coroner at the time was confronted with a number
of difficult issues, since the public was interested in determining the
causes of death and assigning responsibility. So he appointed an Ad Hoc
Committee of well-respected technical experts and others to help him develop
the report. There were additional recommendations in the report other than I
excerpted. If you want to read the entire work, I can send you a Word file
offline. Here are the listed participants below. Coroners also typically
hold hearings to receive input from others.

Nels Cross, 	Foreman
C.T. Manwaring,
W.A. McNeil
David H. Merrill,
Irving C. Harris,
Earl T. Heitschmidt,
E.M. Scofield,
Ralph E. Homann,
Sterling C. Lines.

Coroner

FYI, Fred - BTW, Barry, I'm still circulating your Utah SSC report and have
been getting very positive comments and interesting suggestions. Not sure
when we'll pull our thoughts all together and get back to you all.

Fred Turner, Staff Structural Engineer, California Seismic Safety
Commission, a public policy advisory agency, fturner(--nospam--at)quiknet.com, 1755
Creekside Oaks Dr. #100 Sacramento, CA 95833 916-263-0582 Phone 916-263-0594
Fax