Steel-Detail: feet and inches in Excel

Ken,

You could, as suggested, input the dimension, say 23
feet 4 13/16 inches as 23.0413, then have the computer
take the decimal portion apart and convert it to feet.
 I have routines on my calculator that do this, and
they're very handy.  But if you do that in a
spreadsheet, you'd want to have the spreadsheet
re-display the dimension, specifically labelled as
feet and inches (or as decimal feet) so that someone
else looking at your calculations or using your
spreadsheet isn't confused.  By the time you do all
that you might as well input the number in two (or
three) columns, labelled.  It's far easier and more
clear.

Mike Hemstad

>>> kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net 03/11/03 12:28PM >>>
Do any of you know of a simple way of inputting feet
and inches in Excel?  I currently separate the two
into two different cells but think that there must be
an easier way.  (I don't want to convert to decimal
feet or use all inches) Thanks in advance, Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.