From: Nels Roselund, SE [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 10:43 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Stone Retaining Wall

Gail,

Here's another reference, not as useful as Ian Cramb's, but with additional insights, if you are to be the builder: Building With Stone by Charles McRaven, published 1989 by Garden Way Publishing.

Most soils will stand 3 ft without need of retaining.  What they need for long-term stability is surface protection and erosion resistance.  I think I would approach the project with a greater focus on slope protection and erosion control than on the structural principles of retaining soil.  Keep surface flow away from the top of the wall, and use a filter-fill behind the wall to allow the water to drain through without eroding the soil.  If the stones are dry-stacked, damage, which I expect is not likely, will give you an occasional maintenance-type project in your front yard.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net