Re: Masonry questions

Mark,

I did not find anything in any of my masonry publications on "RX", "RS",
or "WX" units.  The only thing I found was a grade "SW", "MW" or "NW" for
clay bricks (the first two also apply to calcium silicate bricks too).
You could try calling NCMA and asking them.

As to grouting the collar joints in a multiwythe wall, I like you could
not find anything in the UBC.  I could not find anything in the MSJC, but
might have missed it.  I did find a general warning in one text book
(Masonry Design and Detailing by Beall) to make sure that your mortar
joints have had enough time to cure enough so that pressure from the grout
in the collar joint could not "bulge" the wall out due to the mortar
joints being too weak.

I am checking with someone smarter than me (at least one of the many who
are smarter than me).  If find anything out, I will let you know.

HTH (at least some),

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI