RE: Beam unbraced length (was collector elements)

>It seems to suggest that if the top flange
>is connected to a slab, then a pair of full
>height stiffeners (welded to both flanges
>and web?)can be considered a braced point in
>determining the unbraced length of the beam. Am
>I getting this right and can we extend this to
>a beam connected to a roof
>metal deck?

Probably, but there are criteria you can use to decide yes or no. See the
1999 LRFD Specification provisions for stability bracing in Chapter C. This
gives you strength and stiffness requirements for elements, including
torsional bracing, to ensure that what you intend to provide is in fact a
braced point.

The 1999 LRFD Specification is a free download at http://www.aisc.org/

Charlie