RE: Snowdrifting

You have to look at the geometry of the roof system.  If you have (3) roof levels stepping consecutively down, with each being a couple hundred feet wide, the lowest roof should have no drifting due to the highest roof.  All of the drifting from the highest roof would drift onto the middle roof.  If the roof system is (3) roofs each 20' wide, then the lowest roof could have drifting from the highest roof and I would check it as such.  Other cases would require judgment based on the geometry.  Basically, look at the geometry of the roof and decide where a step in the roof will cause a disturbance in the wind and therefore cause the snow to be "dropped".

-----Original Message-----
From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 9:52 AM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Snowdrifting

When you have several higher roofs, in a stair step fashion, for the load on the lowest roof, should you just consider the snow blowing off of the next higher roof or off of all the higher roofs? In other words, what is the length of the upper roof that should be used? I could possibly see some situations (depending on dimensions) where the snow from the highest roof blows off onto the lowest roof.

Jim K.