RE: Beam unbraced length

>Charlie, Adding stiffeners doesn't seem to be
>a cost effective solution. Wouldn't it (typically)
>be less expensive to design the beam without
>stiffeners?
>Greg Meyer

Greg, you are correct and get the gold star for the day. Stiffeners are very
expensive because they are "all" labor. In terms of cost, a pair of
stiffeners roughly equates to 1000 pounds of steel -- stiffener preparation
and welding costs about $200 and steel in a mill order runs $0.20 a pound.
So you can add a LOT of steel weight and still come out ahead.

Charlie