RE: Beam unbraced length

Adding stiffeners to reduce the weight of the beam will reduce the mass of the structure and therefore the seismic loads which will also save some money of bracing systems.  This savings will probably still not offset the cost of adding stiffeners but will certainly help.

Warren Foy

-----Original Message-----
From: Carter, Charlie [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 11:05 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Beam unbraced length

>Charlie, Adding stiffeners doesn't seem to be
>a cost effective solution. Wouldn't it (typically)
>be less expensive to design the beam without
>stiffeners?
>Greg Meyer

Greg, you are correct and get the gold star for the day. Stiffeners are very
expensive because they are "all" labor. In terms of cost, a pair of
stiffeners roughly equates to 1000 pounds of steel -- stiffener preparation
and welding costs about $200 and steel in a mill order runs $0.20 a pound.
So you can add a LOT of steel weight and still come out ahead.

Charlie