Re: Concrete Strength required for stressing - Part 2

Gail,

I would agree.  While the application of the prestressing force earlier
rather than later may prevent some shrinkage cracks from drying from
occuring or at best opening up (they may still occur), you could
potentially be causing cracks due to the application of the prestressing
force (as I believe you pointed out in an ealier post in reference to the
need for nonprestressed steel on occasion when a PT slab is heavily
stressed).  Thus, to me, the time of application of prestressing should be
an engineering judgement based upon the individual circumstances of the
particular project.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI