RE: Wood Residential Truss

Each building department determines what they will accept as deferred
submittals and what they require to issue a permit.  It will also vary with
each particular project.  For residential, we typically only require that
prefabricated components such as I joists and plated wood truss information
be on the job site for the building inspector for the framing inspection.
They are not reviewed at the office.  This policy has some drawbacks and may
change in the future.  For a commercial project, they typically would be
required to be submitted either for plan review or as a deferred submittal
for review.  This could also be required for an unusual residential
building.  It would be understandable if other jurisdictions require the
paperwork prior to permit issuance.

Truss design and fabrication is typically straightforward.  Your client
should be able to get bids from the pre-permit drawings and select a
fabricator that can provide you with the documentation you need to get a
permit.

Daniel P. Sully, P.E.
Building Plans Examiner

City of Olympia