Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Wood Residential Truss

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Each building department determines what they will accept as deferred
submittals and what they require to issue a permit.  It will also vary with
each particular project.  For residential, we typically only require that
prefabricated components such as I joists and plated wood truss information
be on the job site for the building inspector for the framing inspection.
They are not reviewed at the office.  This policy has some drawbacks and may
change in the future.  For a commercial project, they typically would be
required to be submitted either for plan review or as a deferred submittal
for review.  This could also be required for an unusual residential
building.  It would be understandable if other jurisdictions require the
paperwork prior to permit issuance.

Truss design and fabrication is typically straightforward.  Your client
should be able to get bids from the pre-permit drawings and select a
fabricator that can provide you with the documentation you need to get a

Daniel P. Sully, P.E.
Building Plans Examiner

City of Olympia
Community Planning & Development
837 7th Avenue SE
P.O. Box 1967
Olympia, WA 98507-1967
(360) 753-8280
Fax (360) 753-8087

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Gerard Madden, SE [SMTP:gmadden(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Friday, March 14, 2003 11:40 AM
> To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject:	Wood Residential Truss
> Is it normal for a building department to hold-up an issuance of a permit
> due to not having the design-build truss calcs in hand?I was under the
> impression, that the building permit would be issued with the deferred
> submittals required to be furnished prior to installation. I have a client
> who is very cost conscience and has only had preliminary pricing done from
> one or two truss places. She doesn't want to get final bids until
> everything is approved by the bldg dept, and I would imagine that the
> truss places won't release calcs until officially retained.
> Anyway, if someone could educate me, I'd appreciate it.
> Thanks,
> -gerard
> Santa Clara, CA
> Gerard (Jared) Madden, SE & PE
> California Licensed Civil & Structural Engineer
> Structural Engineering Services
> 540 Monroe Street
> Santa Clara, CA 95050
> T: 408.564.5515
> F: 408.564.5530
> E: gmadden(--nospam--at) <mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)>
> W: <>

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********