Torsion on a steel tube and AISC WINTORQ program

List,

I have a question regarding calculating the shear stress in a steel tube.  I have the Steel Design Guide Torsional Analysis of Structural Steel Members and the WINTORQ program from AISC.

Typically, I would calculate the shear stress in a tube using the formula:
1.  shear stress = T / (2*b^2*t) (from table 4.1 of the Design Guide)
2.  shear stress = T / (2*t*Ao)  for constant T (Design Guide Eq. 4.4)  (This is the method used in example 5.2 of the Design Guide).
3.  shear stress = T / C (from Hollow Structural Sections Connection Manual spec. eq. 6-1, C is tabulated for each shape).

Methods 1,2 and 3 seem to give the same result.

The WINTORQ program gives a "wall shear stress" value which seems to come from the following equation:
4.  shear stress = G*t*theta'   (Design Guide Eq. 4.1)  (theta' from WINTORQ program)
This result can also be obtained using:
5.  shear stress = T*t/J

The problem is, the results from 1,2 and 3 are somewhat higher than the values from 4 and 5.  Since the Design Guide shows an example based on 2, but the WINTORQ program provides a value based on 4, I am not sure which value to use.  WINTORQ does not give any of the stresses obtained by 1,2 and 3.

(By the way, I have worked through the examples in the design guide for Wide Flanges, and along with the  WINTORQ program, they have been a HUGE help in understanding torsion on a wide flange beam.)

Jesse Gobeli, P.E.
Dublin, OH