From: Bruce Holcomb [mailto:bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 1:31 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: metal "Z" Channel

There are no standard "C" or "Z" shapes of cold-formed steel.  I recently
designed a project with Z purlins and girts.  MBCI ran their own calcs  and
provided a similar section, but not exactly the same.  I reviewed the calcs
from MBCI and accepted their design.  The next time I have to design a
cold-formed project, my purlin & girt design will simply be: 'Provide X"
deep purlins and girts.  Design for Code prescribed loads and load
combinations as outlined in the Contract Documents.  Submit calculations
sealed by an engineer licensed in the state where the project will be
located.'  That will save me a substantial amount of time.  After all, why
should I spend time to design the purlins & girts and then the MFR. re-do
the design?