From: Peter Griem [mailto:griem(--nospam--at)slamcoll.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 8:07 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Choosing R, Seismic Provisions

Dumb question....

If you are in Seismic Design Category A, B, or C and you choose to use a
Response Modification Factor greater than 3 - say for example IMRF of steel
w/ R = 6, how exactly does the code technically require you to detail per
the seismic provisions?

I realize the detailing reference section is listed right there in the
table, but when you look at the first page of the referenced provisions, it
says something to the effect of "these provisions apply to buildings in
category D or above... or when required by the EOR."

I was talking to an engineer who swears up and down that if you're in SDC A,
B, or C, you don't need to detail per the provisions - even if you pick the
higher R - which doesn't make sense to me... I just don't quite understand
the roadmap that ultimately leads to, "not only can you CHOOSE to require
the seismic provisions, but you MUST require them if you choose R>3."

Thanks,

Peter

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org