Re: Federal Gov't Building Design

Brian,

Your best bet is to ask the agency through which work is being procured.
Federal buildings don't have to per the local building code unless the
federal government decides that they WANT to follow the local building
code.  The thing that complicates things if the NEHRP provisions.  The
NEHRP provisions essentially have two roles...one is a national seismic
standard that can then be used as a potential basis for model building
code, but it still needs to be adjusted since it is not written in
mandatory (code) language.  Thus, as it works now, the NEHRP is taken by
ASCE 7 and "codified".  The second role is to be a minimum design criteria
for federal projects (by some executive order).  Thus, it is entirely
possible that you may be required to use the NEHRP provisions as you
minimum criteria for seismic design on a federal project.  Basically, as I
understand it, all federal projects must now be designed under a code that
at least matches the NEHRP provisions.

So, the end result is that the RFP should spell that you for you (it did
when I did seismic evaluations of existing federal buildings for the GSA).
If not, then contact the procuring agency.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI