From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 17:33
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Beam unbraced length

Gunnar Isleifsson wrote:

. > a picture is worth a thousand words

which leaves me speechless <G>.

Sloping glass in aircraft control towers is common, but I don't know if the
panes commonly used are of comparable size.  Have you contacted glass
companies to see how they have handled this in other situations?

I noticed that there is a horizontal mullion.  Has it been suggested to the
architect that separate window blinds be used in different parts of the
window to give the controllers maximum flexibility in controlling
glare/sunlight?

There are a couple of "inverted pyramid" buildings in Arizona that have the
outside surface sloping at 45 deg.  The first one that I was aware of was the
Tempe (Arizona) City Hall, designed by the architectural firm, Michael and
Kemper Goodwin and built in the late 1960's, early 1970's.  The intent, IIRC,
was to reduce cooling costs by limiting the time windows are exposed to
direct sunlight.  A copycat building was built here in Tucson several years
later and it seems that the windows are magnets for rocks and/or bullets.  Of
course, in these buildings, minimizing obstructions was not a primary
concern.  The City of Tucson keeps microfiche copies of plans indefinitely
and are public records; the City of Tempe, IIRC, keeps plans only 24 months.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

<snip>