UBC97 treatment of Elevated Water towers

Hello,

I am involved in a design review of an elevated water tower and would appreciate your input on this issue.
The main issue is whether section 1634-5 of  the UBC97 is applicable to designing elevated water towers, where Eq. 34-2 produces a large value for the base shear.

Here is the geometrical data:

Shape: truncated cone with bottom radius of 6.5 m, upper radius 13 m, height 20 m.

 Supporting system:  the tank is supported on four columns, having height of 60 m.

Other structural elements: above the tank, there is two circular floors.

Total height from the foundation level is 91 m ( 287 feet).

Seismic zone 1

Thanks