From: ASHURAIM [mailto:ASHURAIM(--nospam--at)fulbrightweb.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 3:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: UBC97 treatment of Elevated Water towers

Hello,

I am involved in a design review of an elevated water tower and would
appreciate your input on this issue.
The main issue is whether section 1634-5 of  the UBC97 is applicable to
designing elevated water towers, where Eq. 34-2 produces a large value for
the base shear.

Here is the geometrical data:

Shape: truncated cone with bottom radius of 6.5 m, upper radius 13 m, height
20 m.

 Supporting system:  the tank is supported on four columns, having height of
60 m.

Other structural elements: above the tank, there is two circular floors.

Total height from the foundation level is 91 m ( 287 feet).

Seismic zone 1

Thanks