re: federal building codes

Brian:

Scott is absolutely right. It seems the feds flex their muscle on this issue
and come up with their own requirements regardless of local building codes.
I was recently suprised when our architect informed me on a VA job we are
about to do these are the governing codes, rather then FBC 2001:

NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, 2000 edition (as well as all the latest NFPA
codes)
International Building Code, 2003 edition, published by the International
Conference of Building Officials

So definitely ask the agency you will be working for.

HTH,

Andrew D. Kester, EI
Structural Engineer
Bentley Architects & Engineers