From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 00:45
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Beam unbraced length

Well, you *do* have an interesting structural problem, Gunnar.

I have one more thought, then I will shut up.

Have you looked at welding plates in a triangular shape to the compression
flange(s), thus:

         \       /
           \   /
             *

or would that add too much depth to the W-beam?  Thick cover plates could
also accomplish the same thing.

Good luck!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona