75 PSF Equipment on 50 PSF Floor

Chris,

Since you have the original plans for the building, you should know who the
original architect and structural engineer are.  Is there some reason that
you can't contact them and find out how they designed the future unfinished
floor?  Since county records had the plans, could they also have the
structural calculations?

Sometimes it takes a little digging.  If the firm has closed/merged/changed
its name, see who sealed the structural plans and see if they are still alive
and registered.  If neither, perhaps a post on this list asking for anyone
who worked for xyz engineers or architects in 1988/89.  I would venture a
guess that some young EIT that worked for the firm still has a set of
calculations for the work.

If the floor was designed for "office" occupancy, the floor also should have
been designed for a concentrated load of 2,000 pounds (1985 UBC) placed
anywhere on the floor.

Good luck.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Chris Banbury wrote:

. > I've been asked to determine if a 1200 lb medical intrument can be placed
. > on the third floor of a hospital office building. The instrument is 30"D
. > x 74"W.

. >  The building was constructed in 1989 and I've obtained the original plans
. > from county records.  The design live loads listed on the plans include
. > 50 psf for office and higher loads for corridors etc.  However, the
. > entire third floor was originally designed, permitted, and constructed as
. > an empty shell with no corridors, partitions, or offices so it seems I'm
. > forced to use the lowest uniform load given. Non-bearing walls, hallways,
. > offices, laboratories, etc. were added later as the hospital found
. > doctors who wanted custom rental space. Since the equipment exceeds the
. > minimum uniform live load I am considering the following:

. > 1. frame a platform to span several floor beams

. > 2. place a steel bearing plate to distribute load over a larger area

. > 3. paint or demarcate an area on the floor around the instrument where no
. > additional equipment can be located such that the painted area satisfies
. > the allowable superimposed live load

. > 4. modify the floor beams in order to increase the load rating of the
. > floor

. > 5. calculate the actual allowable superimposed live load of the concrete
. > slab and steel beams from the structural drawings. Since the corridor
. > locations were unknown at design stage, it is possible that 100 psf was
. > used for the entire floor.

. > Obviously there are concerns with all these solutions.  I would
. > appreciate any additional thoughts or advice on this problem.

. > Christopher A. Banbury, PE
. > Vice President
. > Nicholson Engineering Associates, Inc.
. > PO Box 12230, Brooksville, FL 34603
. > 7468 Horse Lake RD, Brooksville, FL 34601
. > (352) 799-0170 (o)
. > (352) 754-9167 (f)
. > www.nicholson-engineering.com