RE: wind on signs

Thanks for the help.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 3:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: wind on signs

Tom,

In particular, look at note #4b of Table 6-11 (on page 66 in my copy) of
ASCE 7-98 for requirements to apply the load eccentric to the center of
the sign.  It states:

"resultant force acts normal to the face of the sign at a distance from a
vertical line passing through the geometric center equal to 0.2 times the
average width of the sign."

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Jan Harris wrote:

> There are some provisions that require a minimum eccentricity to the wind
> load on the sign portion.  You don't assume the load acts at the center of
> gravity of the sign, there are minimum eccentricities that put some
torsion
> in the mast.
> Jan Harris

---