Re: Luminaire (was wind on signs)

> From: Andrew D. Kester [mailto:andrew(--nospam--at)baeonline.com]

> We always get a laugh out of "luminaires" at our office. Government agencies
> have to make things more complex!

> From: "Tom Hammond" <tehammond(--nospam--at)prodigy.net>

> I can't even find the word "luminaire" in my unabridged dictionary.  Thanks
> for the input.

Bantam English-French Dictionary
luminaire: luminary.

The Concise English Dictionary
luminary: "n. any body yielding light esp. a heavenly body."
(Note, that's "any body" not "anybody")

Either, they've gone bilingual or the marketing people got to them.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International