RE: 75 PSF Equipment on 50 PSF Floor

Subject: 75 PSF Equipment on 50 PSF Floor

Dear Chris,

Analysis: (from: G Vishwanath,Bangalore, India)

1)area of equipment= 2.5 ft x 6.167 ft = 15.417 sq ft (Given)

1a) w/ extra 6" all around 3.5 x 7.167 = 25.08 sf

2)Load = 1200 pounds (Given)

3)Load intensity = 1200 / 15.417 = 77.8 psf

3a) 1200/ 25.08sf = 47.85 psf

4)Design load originally considered = 50 psf  (Given)

4a) Where is the 20 psf for movable partitions? Do they actually exists where the unit will be installed?

4b) Based on the existing  structure recalculate the actual dead loads. Is there an extra 5 psf

    of miscellaneous or is the MEP overstated compared to the actual installed system?

Solution: (from: Rick Burch, Columbia, SC)

"OK by inspection" appears to be acceptable after the numbers are slightly massage. I have performed  this

type of analysis and justification plenty of times for hospitals and data center installation. From the info

provided It appears that you could install the equipment without doing much reinforcement. I have added a 1/4" thick plate on

floors just for a bonus.

Mitchell J. Sklar, P.E., MBA
Senior Structural Engineer
mitchsklar(--nospam--at)psualum.com