RE: Beam unbraced length

Michael Hemstad wrote: "The split tubes aren't intended to prevent
lateral movement of a flange by anchoring it to
something; the purpose of these stiffeners as I
understand it is to prevent the lateral motion of one
flange relative to the other.  If you can do this, you
have defeated lateral-torsional buckling".

I had thought that restraining relative flange movement
would help also, but in my recent research of information
on lateral-torsional buckling effects, the entire beam
cross-section can rotate, not just the compression flange
moving relative to the tension flange. In this case, any
type of stiffener will not help without external restraint
to lateral movement.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311