CSI

Anybody heard about this?

As you may aware, the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) is moving ahead towards publication next year of a new edition of MasterFormat, the industry standard numbering system for construction specifications, which will abandon the 16 Division structure that has been in place for 40 years and replace it with a new system that includes an entirely different set of numbers running into the 80s. You can learn more about the specifics on CSI's website at http://www.csinet.org/technic/mfrevision.htm#draft3.

I believe that the proposed new scheme is fraught with problems that will negatively impact most design and construction professionals if adopted.  I have already communicated my critique to the CSI Board of Directors. You can access a copy of this letter at the following link: http://www.aecdaily.com/forums/read.php?f=121&i=1036&t=1036#reply_1036

If you too are opposed to this radical change, you can easily express your discontent by "signing" an online petition at the following Internet address:  http://www.PetitionOnline.com/KEEP_16/petition.html

D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E., P.Eng.

Senior Project Manager

200 State Highway Nine

Manalapan, NJ 07726