RE: wood posts & Heinz Stadium

Don't forget, people from Pittsburgh that are not from Mars could be from Moon!

Ryan Lawton, P.E. (Native Pittsburgher, neither from Moon or Mars!)

>>> mStuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com 03/24/03 08:12AM >>>
Because people in Pittsburgh are from Mars.

D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E., P.Eng.
Senior Project Manager
200 State Highway Nine
Manalapan, NJ 07726
732-577-9000 (Ext. 1275)
732 -431-9428 (Fax)
mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew D. Kester [mailto:andrew(--nospam--at)baeonline.com]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 10:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: wood posts & Heinz Stadium

Wood posts:

A couple of weeks back somebody was looking for allowable load tables for
wood posts/ columns. As most people know, AF&PA and AWC publishes the ASD
manual for wood design, and if you order the "complete set" you get all of
the supplements and guidelines, in all about 10 books. One of these is
"Supplement - Structural Lumber", and Chapter 5 has lots of allowable load
tables for all types of members and stresses, including ones for 2x4, 2x6,
6x6, 6x8...10x12 in axial compression. Strangely, 4x4 seems to have got
skipped.

WHile on the subject, in the 97 Supplement, Table 2 A "Bearing Design Values
Parallel to Grain", Fg, gives values for different species. Now what is the
difference between those values for "parallel to grain" and Table 4D for
"Compression Parallel to Grain, Fc" ?  Table 4D is nearly half of the Table
2 A values. I normally would think to use Table 4D when designing
posts/columns greater then 5"x5", I do not recall using Table 2 A.

HEINZ STADIUM

I hope I have not said this before on this list, but has anyone read the
article about Heinz Stadium in Pittsburgh in Structural Engineer Magazine ,
the new home of the Steelers? I thought a couple of things were ironic, and
I would like to hear some theories on the subject. First, the steel
fabricator. Since the owner wanted a STEEL stadium for obvious reasons, then
that would also put some money into the local steel economy, right? Well,
maybe not. The steel fabricator was from Texas (?). Portions of the steel
were detailed by an English firm (??). Less importantly, but equally
interesting, the SE was from Miami, and did a great job, as did all the
firms involved. I am just curious as to why the Pittsburgh area could not
fabricate the steel and why the owner did not get a local or northeast
engineer...

Texas must have a thing with fabrication, maybe due to its location on a
major body of water it can receive steel from foreign sources, and export
fabricated steel easily. Maybe it has a easy tap on natural resources. The
main sections of the bridge deck/ beam system for the Chesapeake Bay
Bridge-Tunnel were fabricated in Texas and floated all the way around FL up
to VA.

I have not even been to Texas so I am not plugging the state, I am just
curious.

Andrew D. Kester, EI
Structural Engineer
Bentley Architects & Engineers