Re: Heating beam to straighten

Avent & Mukai have published a number of papers on heat straightening.  Some that may be of interest:
1. "Effect of Heat Straightening on Material Properties of Steel", ASCE Jour of Materials in CE, Aug. 2000
2. "Heat Straightening of Rolled Shapes" ASCE Jour of SE, July 2000
3. "Residual Stresses in Heat Straightened Steel Members", ASCE J of M in CE, Jan/Feb 2001

FHWA also has "Heat-Straightening Repairs of Damaged Steel Bridge - A Manual of Practice and Technical Guide" at http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/heat.htm

I haven't read it, but it may be useful.  Also check what other papers Avent & Mukai have authored; these are just the ones I know of.

>>> Dave.Royce(--nospam--at)gaffey.com 03/24/03 04:47PM >>>
Need advise or references on heating beams to straighten flange (etc.)
and then the possible use of water to quench/cool?

Thanks in advance.
Dave Royse