Re: Break Away Structures

ggobo(--nospam--at)att.net wrote:

Does anywone know what the requirements are for "break away" structures? For example: A bridge over an existing waterway. Is there ever a situation where you would want to design a break away structure? If so, what are the guidlines?

I believe the FEMA publications have details on breakaway walls in flood plains. These are designed to break away during floods so the buildings don't get swept away, but leave the gravity framing intact to keep the structure standing. Also, at airports, the antenna towers or navigational aids close to the runway are sometimes designed to breakaway to minimize the damage to airplanes that are off course or run off the runway.