Re: Heinz Stadium

Andrew,

The pump into the local economy comes from the erection of the steel and the local purchase of consumables such as concrete, welding rods, plastic cups, food, etc.  The reason for a Texas fabricator should not come as a surprise; it is the price.  Steel fabrication in Texas is very cheap and there are several very good shops.  I suspect the good pricing comes from lower labor rates (especially in the more rural areas), low tax structure, and lacks environmental laws.  Here in California we can buy and have shipped galvanized structural steel from Texas and still beat out the local guys.  A lot depends on the size of the project.  The detailing portion is normally a subcontractor to the steel fabricator and the client does not have much say.  Foreign detailing is becoming very popular with the bigger firms.  Also, the SE was probably a subcontractor to the architect.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Andrew D. Kester" <andrew(--nospam--at)baeonline.com>

03/24/2003 07:02 AM
Please respond to seaint