Timber shear values

My boss just came to me with his new copy of the 2001 NDS.  He pointed to DF
shear values (190 psi?).  It seems I have heard that the values have
increased, but this is the first I have seen it.  Do any of you have some
history or a reference for commentary on the subject that we could read.

Thanks,
Joseph R. Grill, PE