Timber shear values

Joe Grill wrote:

. > My boss just came to me with his new copy of the 2001 NDS.  He pointed to
. > DF shear values (190 psi?).  It seems I have heard that the values have
. > increased, but this is the first I have seen it.  Do any of you have some
. > history or a reference for commentary on the subject that we could read.

Buddy Showalter posted a message a while back on this saying that this
reflected changes is ASTM D245 or D2555.  I went to the library to see what
the changes were that permitted doubling of the shear values in lumber.  The
only thing that I could see was a statement similar to, "All horizontal shear
values are established as if a piece were split full length ... " [WWPA 91
Grading Rules] has been removed from the ASTM spec.

Since timbers in this dry climate typically split/check full length, I will
continue to use the 85 psi or 90 psi values for shear included in the 1997
NDS.

I had intended to privately discuss this with Buddy, but have not gotten a
round tuit.

One of these days, when I do get a round tuit, I'm going to become a
procrastinator.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona