From: AWC Info
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 5:45 AM
Subject: Timber shear values

Here's a link to a white paper we published that gives a little more detail on the changes to shear design values for lumber:

http://www.awc.org/Publications/papers/NDS2001article.pdf

The pertinent information is:

"Review of ASTM procedures used to establish allowable shear stresses revealed that shear values were being reduced by two separate factors for effects of splits, checks, and/or shakes. One of these adjustments was made to the base value; the other was an adjustment to design values for grade effects. In 2000, ASTM standard D245 was revised to remove one of these adjustments, which resulted in an increase of nearly two for allowable shear design values; however, grade effect adjustments were eliminated. In the 2001 NDS Supplement, shear design values for sawn lumber are generally 1.95 times higher than values printed in the 1997 edition in response to the change in D245. With this change, shear-related provisions in the NDS were re-evaluated and modified where necessary to provide appropriate designs. Changes include: removal of the shear strength increase factor, C_H, which previously permitted shear design values to be increased..."

Additional changes to notching provisions, etc. are also covered in the paper.

Wrt changes in shear design values for glulam, AITC and APA have information about those changes. Here's a link to a pdf file on the APA website:

http://www.apawood.org/pdfs/managed/Y213A.pdf

HTH

Buddy Showalter, P.E.
AF&PA/AWC

p.s. roger, I've been meaning to pick up one of those "round tuits" as well. I think they sell those in stores now.