RE: Concrete and rebar strength

Jim:

I agree with the others who recommended taking cores for the concrete strength. In my experience, this works out the best.

For the rebar, I would recommend talking to someone at CRSI. Either Tony Felder or Dave Gustafson would be able to help and give some guidance on this. Their number is (847) 517-1200.

---- seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org wrote:
> I am adding loads to a building built in 1930. Amazingly, we have found the existing drawings and specs!
>
> There is no compressive strength specified for the concrete. However, it specifies a concrete with 1 part cement, 2 parts sand and 4 parts aggregate. Can I tell from this info., what the 28 day compressive strength may be?
>
> Also, the rebar is Federal spec. 350A, type B, any grade or class except structural grade. Can I tell from this info. what the particular yield strength is?
>
> Jim K.

David A. Fanella, Ph.D., S.E., P.E.
Director of Engineering
S.K. Ghosh Associates, Inc.
1856 Walters Avenue, Suite 200
Northbrook, IL 60062
Ph: 847.291.9864
Fax: 847.291.9865
E-mail: dfanella(--nospam--at)skghoshassociates.com
Web Page: skghoshassociates.com