From: Kris Hamilton [mailto:kph(--nospam--at)geigerengineers.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 10:36 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bracing for Nail-Plate Wood Trusses

I apologize for re-sending this, but I haven't seen any responses; I
don't
know if this is because no-one saw it the first time, or because
everyone
else is bored to tears by the topic:
I know this is an issue that was discussed several years ago, but I do
not
know if a consensus (or an accord) has ever been reached.

The Plated Truss Institute still insists that the EOR should be the one
design the bracing for the web members, along with the connection of the
bracing to the web members and the connection of the bracing to the
structure.  What a shift of liability!

I, of course, continue to believe that this ought to be dealt with by
the
truss manufacturer or designer, since it something that cannot even
remotely
be known by the EOR until after shop drawings are received.  Their
handbook
even acknowledges that the "building designer" might be the home-owner
or
contractor - then goes on to say that they should perform this
engineering
design function.

The local building department just realized that this is not being done
on
most of the buildings they see, so they want to see an engineer design
the
web bracing for each truss roof that is specified by an engineer (I
don't
know what they are doing for "house-designer" projects).

Is anyone aware if there has been any further action on this issue?  Or
is
everyone but me just "buckling" under and doing the design?  How many
were
not even aware that there was an issue here?
--
Kris P. Hamilton, P.E.
Geiger Engineers