From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 11:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bracing for Nail-Plate Wood Trusses

Kris,

My specs state that all bracing that is required as a condition of design be
designed by the person responsible for designing the truss.  It is the truss
designer who elected to use slender members that require lateral bracing in
lieu of more robust members that would not require lateral bracing.  Lateral
bracing does not have to be taken into the base structure to be effective.

You, as the EOR, can modify or delete any standards written by a
manufacturer/fabricator.  You do not have to accept anything that is in
someone else's "Standards of Practice."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Kris Hamilton wrote:

. > I apologize for re-sending this, but I haven't seen any responses; I don't
. > know if this is because no-one saw it the first time, or because everyone
. > else is bored to tears by the topic:
. > ...........

. > I know this is an issue that was discussed several years ago, but I do not
. > know if a consensus (or an accord) has ever been reached.

. > The Plated Truss Institute still insists that the EOR should be the one to
. > design the bracing for the web members, along with the connection of the
. > bracing to the web members and the connection of the bracing to the
. > structure.  What a shift of liability!

. > I, of course, continue to believe that this ought to be dealt with by the
. > truss manufacturer or designer, since it something that cannot even
. > remotely be known by the EOR until after shop drawings are received.
. > Their handbook even acknowledges that the "building designer" might be the
. > home-owner or contractor - then goes on to say that they should perform
. > this engineering design function.

. > The local building department just realized that this is not being done on
. > most of the buildings they see, so they want to see an engineer design the
. > web bracing for each truss roof that is specified by an engineer (I don't
. > know what they are doing for "house-designer" projects).

. > Is anyone aware if there has been any further action on this issue?  Or is
. > everyone but me just "buckling" under and doing the design?  How many were
. > not even aware that there was an issue here?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org